Saturday 8 October 2011

itro

When I set out to write TNP, I never had any doubt that I was going to base my story on real pirates. Maybe this is because I am, at heart, a historian: From the time I was eight or nine until I graduated from college, I thought I would become an archaeologist. (Never mind that I based this desire on my obsession with Indiana Jones). But to me, history has always provided me with the basis for my stories.
Of course, writing about actual people in history requires research, sometimes a whole lot of it. This may put off a majority of novelists, but not me. I love sitting in the library, surrounded by open books, books that are esoteric and rare and, to most, horribly dull. Those books carry within them gems of fascinating information. (I am a huge. Nerd. I know this. And now, you do too).
As a matter of fact, the idea for TNP began with an Internet search for “good pirates.” I knew there had to be some! This search led me to Edward England, who I initially thought would be Sabrina’s love interest. My research on Edward England led me to Howel Davis, and Howel Davis led me to Black Bart. Their stories, their lives, became the basis for the plot of TNP. Their personalities, as recorded by history, helped me develop my story, and helped me decide that Howel Davis was the better love interest. The in-depth research on these guys inspired me to write, provided me with wonderful material to weave into my story.
Historical fiction doesn’t have to “teach” you something. But my theory is this: If you can provide insight into a period of history AND provide readers with a fun, entertaining story, then you’ve struck gold. Your readers learn something without even knowing it. It’s kind of like putting spinach in your kid’s brownies – they don’t know it’s good for them, but it is. *Evil cackle.*

No comments:

Post a Comment